Every year thousands of people are the victims of someone else’s careless driving. Accidents happen – but it is what happens next that makes all the difference. If you are involved in an accident, there are 11 things to do after a car accident in Colorado, and ensure that you receive the maximum reimbursement for your loss.
Here are 11 things to do after a car accident in Colorado:
- Assess your injuries as well as those of the people in the other car. If anyone appears critical do not attempt to move them. Call for emergency medical assistance.
- Notify your insurance carrier immediately and call for law enforcement (no exceptions and no excuses).This accident was obviously not your fault, and the other driver may attempt to persuade you not to contact police or to involve insurance carriers. Do not be tempted. You are entitled to compensation for losses and injuries resulting from the incident and the police and your insurance carrier are an important and necessary part of the process of recovery.
- Gather the other driver’s information and request a copy of the police report.
- Take pictures of the cars involved, the surrounding areas, and any obvious injuries you have.
- Do not speak to anyone except to the police about the incident
- Do not apologize, and do not speculate about your physical condition.
Do not say “I’m ok” or “I’m not hurt”. Injuries often take some time to manifest. If your injuries are severe visit a hospital emergency department immediately. Follow up as soon as possible with your personal physician.
Following the accident:
- Keep all scheduled medical appointments.
- Record, in detail the progress of your recovery. Keep track of the number of days you miss from work, and any salary or sick time you lost as a result of your injuries.
- Retain receipts and documentation of all expenses and medications prescribed.
- Remember anything you say about the incident may be used against you. Do not post on social media any details concerning the accident
- Do not speak to the other parties’ insurance company
- Do not sign anything (except the police report if necessary)
Contact a Colorado Car Accident Injury Lawyer Today
Contact an experienced car accident injury lawyer today. If you have been injured, through no fault of your own, in an auto accident, seek advice from a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The Tenge Law Firm has a team of personal injury specialists ready to help you navigate through the process of seeking reimbursement and compensation. Timing is critical, contact us as soon as possible. We are standing by ready to help. We have offices in Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins.