Five-Star Results

You should never settle for the first offer. We never will.

Home Car Accidents Police Reports

Colorado Accident Police Report Attorneys

Know When You Need to File a Police Report

In Colorado, almost every vehicle collision must be reported to the police. A law enforcement officer will typically come to the scene, gather evidence, call in medical services if necessary, and file a report on what happened.

You may think a minor accident is no big deal and there is no reason to involve the police, but not all injuries show up right away, and it’s important to document the facts. Once law enforcement arrives, they might talk to you and take a statement, and knowing what to say can help you in the long run. You can lose out on potential compensation if you say the wrong thing to a police officer.

Back to Top

When Is It Necessary to Call the Cops After a Crash?

You are required, by Colorado state law, to notify the police of a crash when there is any property damage or anyone is injured or killed. There is no minimum value on the property damage that must be reported. You must remain at the scene until a police officer arrives, and the officer may or may not interview you about the incident.

Back to Top

What Should I Say to the Police?

When you are asked questions by a police officer at the scene of an accident, you should answer those questions honestly. Lying to a police officer or attempting to mislead them about something that happened can have serious legal consequences. So always answer questions honestly, but keep your answers short.

Do not ever admit guilt or say an accident was your fault. The scene is still under investigation, and you don’t know what other factors contributed to the crash, or what the other driver was doing. A police officer can only include things in a report that he or she sees or hears directly. The police can provide information about evidence on the scene, but cannot say who caused the collision if they did not see it. If you tell an officer that you caused an accident, however, then he can repeat that and include it in his report.

Back to Top

Will the Police Officer File a Report?

In Colorado, police officers usually file a crash report if there is property damage in excess of $1,000 or someone was injured or killed. A report will be filed if one or more drivers involved did not have car insurance, but otherwise, the officer might not bother to make and file a report.

In this case, you should file a personal accident report with the Department of Revenue within 60 days of the crash to make sure there is an official record of what happened.

Back to Top

How Can a Police Report Help Me?

If you file a personal injury claim against the driver who caused your collision, the information in a police report can be used to help your case. If the officer noticed the other driver seemed intoxicated, or issued a citation for excessive speeding, it goes a long way to prove that driver’s negligence. A police report can also be helpful if the other driver admitted to fault for the collision at the scene, and changed his story later during a civil proceeding.

Back to Top

What About Accident Alerts?

Due to severe weather in Colorado, sometimes an “accident alert” will be issued for a certain area. During this time, police must still be called after an accident, but will not come to the scene unless certain requirements are met. In general, police will only come to a crash during an accident alert if:

  • Someone is seriously or fatally injured
  • Alcohol or drug use is involved
  • Vehicles are disabled and need to be moved
  • There is a hit-and-run
  • Public property is damaged

Regardless, you should always contact the police after a crash. A police report can help your lawsuit, but it is important that you do not say anything that can be used against you later. If you have had a serious injury accident and need legal help, feel free to call the Tenge Law Firm, LLC at (303) 665-2929 to discuss your situation.

Back to Top

Additional Information

Our team is here to help. Call us or submit our contact form to schedule your free, no-obligation case evaluation.
(303) 665-2929

5 Stars

“I could tell he had decades of experience in cases like mine, which gave me a lot of comfort during such a stressful time.”
Reviewed by Jennifer on Avvo

5 Stars

“I placed all my trust in them and was not disappointed! They settled my case for an amount I had never expected even in my wildest dreams.”
Reviewed by Georgiana on Google

5 Stars

“We did not have to pay any bills or answer any calls from doctors, hospitals, or insurance companies. We were well taken care of.”
Personal Injury Client on

All Client Reviews

Rated 5/5 stars on the
following review sites:

You Can Talk to Us

When you’ve suffered a traumatic accident, the at-fault party will try to get out of paying the money you’re rightfully owed.

The sooner we can evaluate your case and visit the scene, hire the experts and perform our research, the better our chances of getting you the maximum compensation.
Contact us now.

Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Our legal team is ready to help. Complete the following form and a member of our staff will reach out to you within 24 hours. All submissions are confidentially reviewed by Tenge Law Firm, LLC.

COVID-19 Update: Tenge Law Firm
remains fully operational. Learn More.

COVID-19 Update: The Tenge Law Firm remains fully operational and working remotely to respond to clients and be available to assist those in need of personal injury representation and free consultations. We are providing access via videoconference, phone, email and fax.

Contact Us