Author Photo
Written by: J. Todd Tenge

How to Get Your Denver Police Department Accident Report

| Read Time: 3 minutes
Denver police accident report
denver crash accident report

A car accident can turn an otherwise mundane month into what feels like a never-ending series of unfortunate events.

On top of your injuries and pain, dealing with insurance companies, doctor bills, and car repairs are all daunting prospects that no one looks forward to.

The same goes for filing a legal claim to recover damages. To top it off, it isn’t always clear exactly what you should do after you are in a car accident. 

A Tenge Law Firm, our experienced Denver car accident attorneys understand any frustration you may feel about filing car accident claims.

In this piece, we explain one critical thing you need to do after an accident: get a copy of your accident report in Denver.

You will always need it after an accident, so it is crucial that you know how to request a Denver police accident report.

For immediate assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call (303) 665-2929 for a free consultation. 

Getting a Copy of Your Denver Police Accident Report

Requesting a copy of your accident report is a simple process.

In Denver, you can request a police report online, in person, or via mail.

All you have to do is fill out the requested information and submit the form.

The official Denver city government website has a webpage where you can fill out and submit your request form, or print your form to mail your request.

Accident reports cost $10 each.

If you have any trouble filling out the form or have any questions, you may reach the Denver Police Department’s records division at (720) 913-6755.

Why Accident Reports Are Critical

One thing you will need to do no matter what gets a copy of your Denver accident report.

After all, the crash report is the official record of the accident itself.

Attorneys, courts, and insurance adjusters all look to accident reports to determine, among other things, who is liable for the damages in a given car accident.

Without an accident report, the claim process devolves into a “he said, she said” argument with little evidence to back up either side.

Perhaps most importantly, without a copy of your Denver crash report, it is impossible to properly prepare your claim’s legal strategy.

Colorado Law Requires You to Report Traffic Accidents

Almost all car accidents end up with police reports attached to them because the law requires it. Colorado law requires all drivers to report any car accident in which property damage or injury occurs.

Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $300, jail time up to 90 days, or both.

Responding law enforcement officers will make the report for you in most circumstances; they are required to do so.

If the property damage is less than $1,000 and no injuries occur, the police don’t need to file a report.

However, in such instances, you can still request they do so.

Make Sense of Your Denver Accident Report with Tenge Law Firm

Getting a copy of your accident report is the easy part.

Filing a legal claim, however, isn’t always as easy—unless you have the right legal team on your side.

With Tenge Law Firm’s Denver car accident attorneys on your side, you won’t have to go through the legal process alone.

Our team will work to ensure that your car accident claim goes as smoothly as possible and that you recover all your damages.

Our priority is our clients’ satisfaction, which is why we have recovered more than $50 million for our clients in the last 7 years alone.

Contact us online or call (303) 665-2929 for a free consultation, so we can get started on your car accident claim today!

  • Contact us now. *Required Fields