Author Photo
Written by:

How to Get Your Accident Report in Fort Collins, CO

| Read Time: 3 minutes
Fort Collins Accident Reports

Accident reports are a critical element of all car accident claims.

Attorneys, courts, and insurance adjusters all look to this official record of the incident as important evidence. 

Fort Collins crash accident reports have a lot of information on them.

Among other information, police include a general description of the accident, an assessment of the degree of fault of each party, and descriptions of property and injury damages.

Without an accident report, filing a legal claim over a car accident may be impractical.

Thus, if you live in Fort Collins, it is essential to know how to request a Fort Collins Police Department accident report.

How Are Accident Reports Made?

By default, police officers file accident reports for essentially all car accidents in Colorado.

If property damage of more than $1,000 occurs or any injury occurs, Colorado requires responding law enforcement officers to file an accident report.

The law requires the same when a driver requests an accident report even when no injury or property damage more than $1,000 occurs, 

Police come to the scene of car accidents because the law requires drivers to report all accidents in which property damage or personal injury occurs to the nearest available law enforcement officer.

That includes most car accidents. If a driver fails to report an accident, they can face a traffic misdemeanor. Colorado traffic misdemeanors like failure to report an accident can bring a fine of up to $300, up to 90 days jail time, or both.

Getting Your Fort Collins Police Department Accident Report

If you need to get a copy of your car accident report, you can request a copy through the law enforcement agency that responded to your accident.

Thus, for Fort Collins accident reports, you need to make a request through the Fort Collins Police Department. If your accident was on the freeway, you would need to make your request through Colorado State Patrol.

Obtaining a copy of your Fort Collins accident report is a simple process. First, navigate to the Fort Collins Police Department’s records release page. Once there, you need to download the request form.

You can fill out the information digitally or print it and fill it out manually. Once you complete the form, you have three options to submit the request:

  • Email: Send the completed form to
  • Fax: Fax the completed form to 970-221-6284.
  • Mail: Mail the completed form to Fort Collins Police Services Records, PO Box 580, Fort Collins, CO 80522.

Each record request costs 25 cents per page, and a letter certifying the legitimacy of the report costs $5.00.

If you need help filling out or submitting your records request, call 970-221-6540 and select option 5 to speak to a Fort Collins Police Records representative.

After You Get Your Fort Collins Accident Report

Getting a copy of your accident report is the first step in recovering the damages you suffered in your Fort Collins car accident. Now, to get the compensation you deserve, you need the right legal representation.

The car accident attorneys at Tenge Law Firm can take the guesswork out of the car accident claim process and advocate aggressively for you from start to finish.

We pride our firm on our 5-star results and hundreds of satisfied clients. Don’t just take our word for it; check out our case results and client reviews pages for more information on our happy clients.

You took the first step, now let us help you take the rest. Contact Tenge Law Firm today for a free consultation!

Related: How to Get Accident Reports Throughout Colorado

  • Contact us now. *Required Fields