Author Photo
Written by: J. Todd Tenge

How to Report a Drunk Driver in Colorado

| Read Time: 3 minutes
report drunk driver in Colorado
reporting a drunk driver Colorado

Seeing a vehicle swerving on the road and heading in your direction frightens all drivers. You immediately wonder if the driver is impaired.

Drunk drivers kill more than 10,000 people annually in the United States.

Each state has its own set of consequences for driving impaired.

If you have been injured by a drunk driver or even if you suspect one is on the road, you should know how to report a drunk driver in Colorado. 

If you have questions about a possible claim, contact the personal injury team at Tenge Law Firm today.

Injured by a Drunk Driver?

If you were in an accident with a drunk driver, it’s crucial that you report the incident.

Though drunk driving is a criminal charge, you may also be eligible to file a civil claim to be compensated for your injuries.

There is never an excuse for driving intoxicated, and you should not have to be responsible for injuries you sustained due to someone else’s negligent behavior.

Colorado Drunk Driving Statistics identifies Colorado as the thirteenth most dangerous state for drunk driving accidents.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1,548 people were killed in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver in Colorado from 2009 to 2018.

Colorado’s driving impairment death rates by age nearly mirror national averages with the largest number of deaths in the 21 to 34 age range.

A survey conducted by Behavioral Risk Surveillance Systems reported that 1.7% of adults nationally reported driving after drinking too much, compared to 1.8% statewide in Colorado.

Nearly one in three traffic deaths in the United States involves a driver with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher

Common Signs of Drunk Driving 

When you report a drunk driver in Colorado you are helping keep your loved ones and your community safe.

Accidents happen, but there are often signs that indicate you are sharing the road with someone who is not fit to drive.

Here are some things to look out for:

  • Swerving or zig-zagging across the road, 
  • Quick changes in acceleration, 
  • Driving on the wrong side of the road, 
  • Tailgating, 
  • Crossing the center lane, 
  • Stopping or braking without cause, 
  • Driving without headlights at night, 
  • Nearly striking an object or another vehicle, 
  • Driving 10 miles or more under the speed limit, 
  • Inappropriate use of signals, 
  • Driving somewhere other than the road. 

In general, any irregular driving behavior could indicate intoxication. You do not have to know with certainty that a driver is under the influence to report a drunk driver. 

How to Report a Drunk Driver

To report a drunk driver in Colorado, simply call 911. If you do not have a voice-activated service in your vehicle, pull over before placing the call.

You also have the option of dialing  *DUI (star 384) to reach the drunk driving hotline or *CSP (star 277) to reach the Colorado State Patrol.

The dispatcher will request the following information: 

  • The exact location of the driver when you saw them, including the road and any cross streets;
  • The direction they were headed;
  • Description of the vehicle, including the make, model, and color;
  • The driving behavior that caused your concern; and 
  • The license plate number if you were able to see it. 

Whatever information you can provide will be helpful and potentially save lives. Never assume that someone else is going to call to report a drunk driver.

We Turn Claims into Cash

If you have suffered an injury due to a car accident caused by a drunk driver, or if your loved one died in a crash caused by a drunk driver, you need to start preparing for legal action immediately.

The longer you wait, the weaker your claim will become. Damages can be generous, depending on the severity of your injury.

In a DUI case, you might even be able to double your recovery by demanding punitive damages

At the Tenge Law Firm, LLC, we’ve been fighting for the rights of personal injury victims for 30 years now. We can help you negotiate a settlement, and if that doesn’t work, we are ready for a courtroom battle.

Call Tenge Law at 303-529-6742 or contact us online for a free consultation. Remember this much: If we don’t win your case, you won’t owe us anything.

  • Contact us now. *Required Fields