Legal Assistance for Hit and Run Victims

Hit and run accidents are incredibly dangerous. Victims who are left alone after an accident can suffer extensive physical and emotional trauma, in addition to the risk of dying if they do not receive needed medical treatment. For those who do survive, many assume they cannot file a claim and must pay out of pocket for their medical expenses and recover.

Properly healing and paying for medical bills can be difficult if you do not know the insurance company of the driver who injured you; however, you still may be able to recover compensation. If you or someone you loved was injured in a hit and run accident that was not your fault, please reach out to the Tenge Law Firm, LLC. Our Fort Collins hit and run accident attorneys can review your case, insurance policy, and injuries to determine if you are eligible for compensation and what options are available to you. You may still be able to recover compensation, so do not hesitate to contact us at (970) 212-4777.

How Is a Hit and Run Defined in Colorado?

According to Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) Section 42-4-1601, any driver involved in a crash is required to:

  • Immediately stop at the scene of the accident, or as close to the scene as possible, or immediately return to the scene; and
  • Remain at the scene of the accident until all duties under the law are fulfilled.

In addition, drivers are also expected to:

  • Provide their name, address, and vehicle registration number to the other party, and, upon request, show his or her driver’s license;
  • Render reasonable assistance to any person injured in the accident, which includes transporting the injured person to a doctor or hospital, or contacting emergency medical services, if necessary; and
  • Report the accident to the police.

Even if you are a victim of a minor hit and run accident, you are still required to contact the authorities. They will need to file a report and may have resources that can help in determining who caused your injuries.

The Dangers of a Hit and Run Collision

All car accidents have a risk of causing serious injuries but hit and run collisions have their own unique issue. In a traditional car accident, one or both drivers and their passengers are likely going to contact emergency medical services to ensure life-saving treatment is provided as soon as possible. However, in a hit and run accident, contacting the authorities falls squarely on the shoulders of the victim or any witnesses. If your accident was on a more secluded street in or around Fort Collins, your injuries may be exasperated if no one contacts an EMT immediately or if it is difficult for the police to find you.

Victims of hit and run accidents may suffer debilitating or near-fatal injuries, including:

A lack of immediate medical treatment can result in the victim’s death, especially if they are a pedestrian or cyclist. This is especially damaging for the victim’s loved ones, who may have relied on them for financial security. While we cannot bring your loved one back, the Tenge Law Firm, LLC can assist in filing a wrongful death claim on your behalf in order to recover compensation for the loss you have experienced.

Can I Recover Compensation If the Hit and Run Driver Is Never Caught?

While it may seem impossible to recover compensation from a hit and run driver, there are still options available. Insurance companies in Colorado are required to offer uninsured motorist coverage (UM), which applies when a driver is uninsured and if you cannot find the driver after an accident. Instead of filing against the at-fault driver, you can file against your own insurance company. Your UM coverage should be equal to your own liability coverage, allowing you to recover compensation up to your policy’s limit.

Why You Still Need an Attorney

To ensure you receive every cent owed to you after an accident, you should contact a Fort Collins car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Hit and run accidents are not hopeless situations and having sound legal representation is key to recovering compensation. At the Tenge Law Firm, LLC, we can fully review your case to help you file against your UM policy or, if the at-fault driver is caught, file a car accident claim against their insurance policy. In addition, while collecting witness statements and reviewing your police report, we may be able to determine who the at-fault driver was and hold them accountable. To discuss your case and learn what options are available to you, contact us at (970) 212-4777.